Sunday, February 16, 2014

NCCTM Eastern Regional Conference

Watson College of Education, the site of the NCCTM Eastern Regional Conference.

On February 15th, I traveled to UNC-Wilmington for the NCCTM Eastern Regional Conference.  I was happy to trek down to New Hanover County because I had grown quite bored with being sequestered from the outside world due to numerous snow days.  I am particularly pumped anytime that I can share my experiences with the math-based novel, The Absolute of Mike.

Here is footage that recaps my interactions with all of the math-perts (math experts) as well as highlights from my presentation.




In the video below, I provide an overview of the Plot Profile.  This strategy allows me to incorporate more math into my ELA classroom.



Here is a Prezi that reveals my complete presentation:
http://prezi.com/xjpkgo3gju1h/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0share

After my presentation, I attended numerous sessions.  I enjoyed them all. However, I was particularly impressed with Talking the Talk: Strategies to Get Kids Discussing Mathematics.  

Whitney Richardson-Reinert (6th Grade Teacher from Shallotte Middle School) was the facilitator, and if she is half as good with her students as she was during this presentation then her students are in GREAT hands.  She shared tons of fantastic and useful games/activities (You Sunk My Valentine, Roll for One, Cue Cards, ABC Brainstorming in Math, and The Restaurant) that will certainly jumpstart academic dialogue. 

Here is her email address (whrichardson@bcswan.net) if you would like Mrs. Richardson-Reinert to conduct Professional Development for your school or district.  A session with her would definitely benefit your staff and students!


4 comments:

  1. I love that you took the care to share all this information!! I'm going to share this with our prospective teachers at University of Alabama. Best wishes to you, Marlow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading and sharing my blog! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words and support! I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and being able to experience the NCCTM conference with such a dedicated young professional! Please keep in touch and let me know if you ever need any cross curricular ideas. Different counties doesn't matter; we do this job for all NC students! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete